|Polson Logging Co. #2
2-8-2, Baldwin, construction #38967, December 1912
|Number 2 was built by Baldwin in December 1912, for logging service in the state of Washington for the Saginaw Timber Company. Her 44-inch diameter drivers produce great pulling power and flangeless center drivers allow for operation on tight curves found on logging railroads. #2 is an oil-burner, a preferred fuel for logging engines to eliminate hot cinders that could pose a fire hazard.
#2 served several lumber companies (Northwest Lumber Co., 1914-1929; Polson Brothers Lumber Co., 1929-1948; Rayonier, 1948-1962) before going to the Cadillac & Lake City in 1962, a freight hauling short line in Michigan. It subsequently went through several private ownswerships before coming to Mid-Continent in 1982.
#2 was then restored to her 1912 as-built appearance with newly fabricated box headlights and tender toolboxes (she still uses her original tender). In 1999, #2 was repainted and subsequently relettered to represent her career for Polson Brothers from 1928 to 1948. #2 is presently out of service, receiving heavy boiler repairs to bring her to compliance with new Part 230 FRA (Federal Railroad Administration) regulations.
POLSON #2 STEAM STATUS