|Paul Swanson Postcard Collection
This private collection has been compiled by Mid-Continent member Paul Swanson. The collection consists of several hundred postcards, depicting a variety of railroad images from the Golden Age of Railroading (1880-1916). A unique feature of this collection is that a majority of these postcards are “real photo” postcards. The images are searchable and viewable through a database intended for personal use only. Any and all public use is strictly prohibited. Public use includes all recognized forms of reproduction, publication, and/or display for any purpose.
Click here to enter the database.
METADATA: Each image is assigned metadata to help identify subject matter:
- RAILROAD NAMEAbbreviations are used
- STATEUSPS abbreviations are used (i.e. "WI" for Wisconsin)
- POSTMARK DATEThe date of postmark, if available. Helps approximate the date of image.
- KEYWORD(S)Identify subject matter within the image (see samples below).
- REMARKSHandwritten remarks or printing on postcard that may add historical information pertinent to the image.
SEARCHING TIPS: You may search by any of the metadata fields above, or keywords. For example, type “WI” and all matches for Wisconsin-identified postcards will be displayed. Type “depot” and all matches featuring a depot building will be displayed.