Hole Boring Continues in Preparation of Riveting

Mike Wahl reports:

“For the third weekend in a row work has been happening in the shop. With the stress relieving completed back in January, we are able to move forward to complete the barrel seams. This is the number one priority on the boiler for us. The goal is to rivet all of the barrel seams during Spring Fling weekend. This ‘seams’ like a big goal, but there are only 175 holes to bore, bolt up tight, ream, and rivet.

“We made great progress on the rivet seams. The seam between the throat sheet and third course was completed. We were also able to complete approximately 50% of the seam between the second course and third course. This means we are approximately 50% completed with hole boring and bolt up.

“Next weekend we need to make a new throat sheet backer. This is number two priority. I would like to have this riveted in during Spring Fling or before so that the stud hole can be completed in it and this area ready for rear tube sheet installation. We have the code material at the shop and the old one for a pattern.

“Plans have been progressing in preparation for Spring Fling weekend. A new rivet forge has been purchased. Jim Connor picked it up and delivered it to the museum. We have a local source located for LP so we can rivet like mad and not run out of fuel. The required rivets for this task have been ordered and will be shipped in time for Spring Fling. We are compiling a list of other requirements and are working on procuring these items so we are prepared for riveting.

“The rear tube sheet template was shipped to the sub-contractor and a P.O. issued to make the rear tube sheet. The hope is to have this back by Spring Fling so tube holes can be bored in and it shipped out for heat treatment.

“Once the riveting is completed, the throat sheet backer is installed and stud hole drilled in the throat sheet backer we can start to fit the rear tube sheet.

“While this work progressed I spent some time looking over the tender tank. Discussion and ideas for repair were discussed so a plan of attack can be put fourth.

“All for now, hope to see you next weekend. There are many things to do.”

Jim Connor photos.

Rear Tube Sheet Template Constructed

Jim Connor reports:

“On Friday the 24th, Doug Klitzke, Ron Kokemuller and Jim Connor worked on the template for the rear tube sheet. First a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood was cut in 5 sections. The sections were assembled, rough cut, than disassembled to fit in the boiler. Sections were than reassembled in the boiler and held firm with wires to the firebox sheets so an outline of the outside of the tube sheet could be made.

“On Saturday the 25th Mike Wahl joined us to finish the marking of the tube sheet template. Unassembled template will be shipped to a contractor in Tennessee. The contractor will make a new tube sheet for the boiler.

“The rest of Saturday was spent drilling 2- 1/16” holes in the front tube sheet. Also we continued reaming rivet holes in the boiler courses.

“Al Joyce ‘Stud Guy #1’ installed the first two studs. Another mile stone!”

Jim Connor photos:

Doug Crary photos:

Bob Ristow photos:

January 14-15, 2016 Work Session Update

Al Joyce reports:

“Just a work update on this past weekend. In short we made progress in the positive direction.

“Jim Connor and Ron Kokemuller drilled out the front tube sheet with the pilot holes (170). They did not do anything about cutting the larger holes because the core drill was only 2 inches instead of 2 1/16. One of the holes has a broken drill bit in it. That hole was marked for future work.

“Ed Dench worked on the smoke box by grinding the heads of the flush rivets. They look good. One may need some work as it did not fully fill the hole.

“With the combined help of Bryon Schumacher and Jim Connor, we got many more studs sized and installed in the boiler. They are in only hand tight so they can be removed. The boiler is starting to look like a porcupine with all the studs sticking out. Jim took some pictures so we hope to get them on the web site soon. With the help of Jim and Bryon we have doubled the stud crew membership. All the Stud Guys are qualified to work unsupervised at a pace that is comfortable to them.”

Jim Connor photos.

November 26-27, 2005 Work Weekend

Bob Ristow reports:

“Taking advantage of the heat being on in the shop, Jim Baker, Carla Larsen and myself worked most of the week between santa trains and finished removal of the smoke box ring and rivets. Laid out the front flue sheet, worked on the new ash pans, cleaned the shop a little and took photos and dimensions of various WC&C #1 parts. These included the check valve flange and deflector, smoke box front and door, and ash pan assembly.”

Wheel Center, Driving Boxes and Smokebox Removal

Work on welding WC&C #1ā€™s driving wheel centers is nearly complete and the tire will soon be reinstalled on the driver. Rick Peters has been working on this phase of the project. Offsite work includes the machining work done by Dave Wantz in the Twin Cities on the new driving wheel boxes. Dave has been carving out three new boxes from solid blocks of steel. ā€œIt has taken a great amount of time, patience, and skill,ā€ remarks Pete Deets. During Pumpkin SpecialTM weekend, Bob Ristow and Jason Sobcyznski led a team to remove the old smokebox. They also began scarfing rivets on the front flue sheet in preparation for its future removal.