|Soo Line #99085
Cupola Caboose, Haskell & Barker Car Co., January 1909
|Wisconsin Central #99085 was among the last lot of cabooses ordered by the WC while it was still an independent railroad. This caboose was originally numbered WC #191 when built by Haskell & Barker and delivered to the WC in January 1909. On April 1, 1909, the WC was leased to the MStP&SSteM (Soo Line) for 999 years. On December 13, 1911, the caboose was renumbered to SOO #99085.
As originally built, this caboose had four windows per side and a very low cupola. The carbody was extensively rebuilt into the single window design characteristic of the AC&F built lot which included the SOO #203 and WC #99115 (both are at Mid-Continent). This work was completed at the same time as the SOO renumbering of the caboose. The interior arrangement was also altered at this time to emulate the AC&F design. In the cupola rebuild, #99085 received a single window version. This work was completed on January 4, 1912.
#99085's original underframe construction was wood with truss rods. In December 1925 a steel centersill was applied to the car while the truss rods were retained. The work was done at the company's North Fond du Lac shops in Wisconsin.
#99085 was privately acquired from the Soo Line and moved to Mid-Continent in May 1967. The caboose is presently restored to its mid 1950's paint and lettering appearance and on public display across from the North Freedom depot.