|6th Annual Gandy Dancer Festival
Saturday, August 18, 2012
On the Promenade in Mazomanie, Wis.
The Mid-Continent Railway Historical Society is pleased to announce its sixth annual Gandy Dancer Festival taking place Saturday, August 18th on the Promenade in Mazomanie, WI. And once again admission is free.
Headlining this year's day-long music festival is the Claire Lynch Band, continuing our tradition of bringing the best in nationally renowned bluegrass music to the festival's main stage. Claire has twice been named Female Vocalist of the Year by the International Bluegrass Music Association. And twice she has been nominated for a Grammy award.
We are also pleased to welcome to this year's festival as our special guest folk artist Bill Staines. Bill’s career has spanned more than four decades, producing twenty-six albums and having many of his songs recorded by his peers in the music industry.
Also featured on our main stage will be local favorites Harmonious Wail, known for their unique style of gypsy swing; the Avenue Sizzlers, who bring us the lively sounds of Dixieland; and Wisconsin's own best bluegrass band Art Stevenson & High Water. All three performers are making return visits to the festival, where they will once again be hosted by music historian and popular WORT radio personality Bill Malone.
But the Gandy Dancer Festival is about more than music. Several activities have been scheduled designed to provide entertainment for every family member. For easy updates to all that will be taking place we invite you to like us on the Gandy Dancer Festival Facebook page or follow us on Twitter @Gandy_6.
Music on the Main Stage hosted by Bill Malone:
- 11:00am Art Stevenson & High Water (bluegrass gospel)
- 12:30pm Avenue Sizzlers (Dixieland)
- 2:00pm Art Stevenson & High Water (traditional bluegrass)
- 3:30pm Harmonious Wail (gypsy swing)
- 5:00pm Bill Staines (folk)
- 6:30pm Claire Lynch Band (bluegrass)
Programs in the Second Tent hosted by Chris Powers:
- 12:00 and 2:00pm Christopher Powers (music for kids)
- 12:45pm Open Sing-along led by members of the Wild Hog in the Woods Coffeehouse
- 1:00 - 4:00pm Jolly Giant (face painting)
- 3:00pm Meet the Headliner with the Claire Lynch Band
- 3:45pm Open Bluegrass Jam Session led by Art Stevenson & High Water
Also taking place at various locations around the festival grounds:
- All day Gandy Dancer demonstration by Dave Lee
- 12:00 - 2:00pm Horse drawn carriage rides by Cornerstone Carriages
- 12:00 - 3:00pm Mini-train rides provided by the Cross Plains Lions Club
- 12:00 - 3:00pm Junior History Detective Program (Starts at the Mazomanie Free Library)
- 1:00 - 4:00pm Juggling by Jacob Mills
- 1:00 - 4:00pm Stiltwalking demonstrations by the Mazomanie Circus Camp
- 1:00 - 4:00pm The Art Yard (under the exhibitor's tent) hosted by the Madison Children's Museum.
Food and beverage sales will be provided by local organizations and businesses on the Promenade.
The local Farmers market will be located along the commercial section of the Village.
We wish to thank this year's sponsors for helping us to keep this festival free to the general public:
- The Village of Mazomanie
- The Peoples Community Bank
- Dane Arts
- WORT 89.9FM
- The Mazomanie Regional Heritage Foundation
- The Southern Wisconsin Bluegrass Music Association
- The Wisconsin Heights Optimists Club
- The Madison Children's Museum
- Simply Folk on Wisconsin Public Radio
BACK TO NEWS