Coach #2 - Denver
We have no photo we can identify
as coach #2. It is
quite possible one or more of the very dark photos we identify as
coach-baggage car #1 are actually of coach #2.
cars bore the #2. (See HISTORY below.)
First #2 probably looked very much like
coach-baggage car #1 but
without the baggage door, since it appears that coach-baggage car #1 was a coach
with baggage door added.
Second #2 was a hand-me-down from the
New York Elevated Railroad which
arrived on the scene shortly after first #2 burned, and for some reason was
slipped into the empty spot on the roster, while its five sister cars
received the “current” numbers #11-15. No one knows for
these cars looked like, though there is a great deal of speculation. (See
Coach #2 was built
by the Hallack & Bro. Lumber
Company, to whom the South
Park had let contracts for its first freight cars. The
Denver Daily Times
of March 18, 1874 reported the railroad had
contracted with Halleck for construction of 40 freight cars, one first class
passenger car, and one first class baggage car.
Hallack & Brother was a lumber, millwork and hardware firm, with no
experience at building anything. Why did they get the contract? Perhaps it had
something to do with the brothers being major stockholders in the South Park. (Poor
Hallack as a Director of the Corporation in 1879.)
But in fact, the early cars Hallack built (freight as well as passenger cars) were probably
constructed from assemblies obtained from eastern car builders. Most car builders of
the time built cars in pieces that could be conveniently shipped either
overseas or domestically, and assembled on-site.
Jackson & Sharp was one of
these, and some believe they supplied the parts for the cars built by
Hallack. It is also possible the assemblies were produced by
Barney & Smith, as the South Park apparently turned to them for
their next major order of freight and passenger cars (1878).
Coach #2 was delivered to the South Park 5 August 1874, just one month after
coach-baggage #1, and
was immediately put to work on
the Morrison line. For the next four years the two were the only passenger cars
owned by the South Park. Like
coach #2 was given a name, and what
could be more fitting than the town for which the railroad was named,
Denver? The two little cars were undoubtedly quite busy, running two
round trips per day on the 16 mile railroad.
On 3 March 1880,
Denver was destroyed by fire at Buena
Vista. (Fires were an ever-present risk in these wooden cars, jolting down
uneven tracks with stoves glowing red-hot. One railroad’s Master Car Builder referred to the
stoves as “abominations.”) Denver was immediately replaced as #2 on the roster by one of the
cars newly acquired from the New York Elevated Railroad. Second #2 inherited the
number, but not the name, as times had changed, and only Pullman sleepers were being
named by 1880.
Second #2 was built by
Gilbert, Bush & Company
in 1872, and apparently ran on the New York Elevated Railroad until sold to the South Park in
February 1880. When received by the South Park in May, it no doubt had to be
equipped with steps for ground level loading. Second #2 was renumbered to #55 in
the 1885 Union Pacific renumbering, and apparently kept that number in the
Denver, Leadville & Gunnison era. It was dropped from equipment and the roster
slot declared vacant December 1887, with no reason given.
PHOTOGRAPHS & PLANS
CAN YOU DIRECT US TO A PHOTO OF COACH
CLICK HERE, PLEASE!
We are aware of no plans for coach #2. Regarding photos and/or
plans for second #2, see
We have no summary data for coach #2 since it did not survive to 1885. For
summary data on second #2, see