Coaches #9 and #10 - Page 2
(3) DSP&P coach #9 being used as a darkroom by W.H. Jackson,
upper leg of the Central City switchback
sometime between 1885 and
1889. W.H. Jackson photo at
Poor-107(ME) and Image
CHS.J3908 in the Denver Public Library's Western History Collection. (Click pic
Coaches #9 and #10 were
out-shopped by the South Park’s Denver shops in April of 1880. As
with coach-baggage #6,
coach #7 and
they were probably assembled from parts obtained
from an eastern car builder. The Union Pacific renumbered them as #57 and #58 in 1885,
numbers they probably carried for several years under the Denver, Leadville &
In 1892, coach #9/57 was rebuilt as a combination coach-baggage
car by the DL&G, and was renumbered in that category as #708. The
next year (and probably almost simultaneously, if the conversion of #9 took
place in the winter of '92 and that of #10 just into the new year) #10 was
similarly rebuilt as a combination
coach-baggage car. Business was not exactly booming for the South Park
and a combination coach-baggage car allowed the road to eliminate the baggage
car from a train and reduce both dead weight and the cost of maintenance.
When the Colorado
& Southern took over in 1899, coach-baggage #708 went on their roster as
#128. Coach-baggage #709 was not renumbered, having rolled over and burned on
27 December of the prior year near Alpine Tunnel—during one of the worst
winters on record.
(4) DSP&P coach #58 (former #10) on the High Bridge in the late 1880s. Note what probably was the
“furnace” filling the window at the right end. From a cabinet card owned
by Ken Martin.
Coach-baggage #128 was put on broad-gauge
trucks and leased to the Great West Sugar Company 6 October 1903. We don't know
how long they kept it, but the records show that when the C&S renumbered in
1906, coach-baggage #128 became C&S #29. It was rebuilt by the C&S in 1915.
Either upon its conversion to a combination car, or at some time
up to and including 1915, its windows were converted from arched
single-pane windows to
squared-off double pane
ones. The end window beside the stove was filled in (the window space at the
right end in photo #5), and the second window from the end on the opposite side was
filled-in, apparently to enlarge the lavatory area (see photo #4).
C&S coach-baggage #29 on the High Bridge, September 1927. Richard B.
Jackson photo at
Sometime after 1916 (the latest “corrected”
date on the C&S passenger car diagram
for coach-baggage #29), the window nearest the baggage compartment on the left
side (photo #5) was covered over. This appears to have been done when another
stove was added to the car. Since Car #29 was one of the last to be
dismantled, it is quite likely it was used as a crew car or tool car, probably
having the partition between the baggage and passenger compartments removed and
the new stove added for more heating capacity.
C&S combination coach-baggage #29 was dismantled in November
1942 after more than 60 years of service.