EJ&S #2 Restoration Update – Oct. 22, 2019

The Mid-Continent Car Shop is just about done for the year so this is a final post for the EJ&S No. 2 for 2019. We made some good progress this year as you can see from the photos of both sides of the No. 2. The east side work was finished off except for the letter board and it now has two coats of primer. The west side had new siding, board and battens, and window lintels installed, and the letter board was reinstalled. This side also has two coats of primer now except for the letter board which still needs to have some screw and nail holes filled.

The completion of the exterior (except for the roof) is now in sight. Next year we look forward to having the finish gloss paint on and the lettering applied.

EJ&S #2 Restoration Update – July 3, 2019

Work on the East Jordan & Southern #2 continues at a steady pace. This past weekend we had a great turnout during the work session, allowing us to work on several projects including the EJ&S #2 which was led by Pete B. and Bill. F.

Work focused on the west side of the car. Tasks included installing the window sills, window lentils, and the panels between the windows. New window stops for the west side of the car were also produced and all the pieces primed.

Pete B. making more progress on the EJ&S #2. Bill Buhrmaster photo.

EJ&S #2 Restoration Update – June 17, 2019

In the May work session we decided to remove the west side letter board, siding above the window sill and the window sill. Work was then started on fabricating new window sill material.

During the June 14 and 15th work session work on the window sill was completed. This included fastening an inner trim piece to the sill and then attaching the sill to the belt rail. The next steps include installing new siding above the window sill and re-installing the top fascia and letter board.

Peter B.
Restoration Department

EJ&S #2 Restoration Update – April 30, 2019

EJ&S No. 2 got new siding installed on the west side of the car below the window sill during April 26 – 28 work session. The siding was lightly sanded and Sunday afternoon was warm enough to get a coat of Pullman Green primer on the new wood. Thanks to David P. and Dave H. for help with this project.

Thanks again to the NRHS for the Rail Heritage Grant received in 2015 that funded the purchase of the lumber used to produce the tongue and grove siding. Sometimes I lose track of the time required for a project of this scope even though progress is quite apparent.

Peter B.
Restoration Department