Baggage Car, American Car & Foundry Co., Lot 5969, 1911
The Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad received baggage car #1900 from the American Car & Foundry Co. of Jeffersonville, Indiana in 1911. It is of wooden construction with a steel underframe. In 1923, the CB&Q renumbered it to #1490, and about 1951, again to #250031. At this time, it is presumed the car went into work service. Mid-Continent purchased the car in 1969 and moved it to North Freedom. Today it serves as the wood shop for the Curator and Car Departments.
The American Car & Foundry Co., of Jeffersonville, Indiana had its beginnings as the Ohio Falls Car Co., being established during the Civil War. Ohio Falls endured several bankruptcies and the Panic of 1873 to become a major Midwestern car builder. Early on the firm promoted use of Southern Yellow pine for car construction due to its superior strength. By the 1890’s Ohio Falls’ volume had reached $3 million worth of cars annually. In 1899 Ohio Falls was consolidated into the industry giant American Car & Foundry Co. (AC&F). The Jeffersonville plant was closed by AC&F in 1945 although most of the buildings survive, utilized for a variety of industrial and commercial purposes.