Jim Connor reports on the installation of the rear tube sheet:
“Most of the job was done by Bob Ristow and welder Jeff Lund. The basic job was to reassemble the plywood template and see if it would fit through the front of the boiler, slide down the barrel and tip in between the throat sheet and fire box sheets. This worked and gave us the close assurance that the real sheet would do the same. It did. Sounds simple. The actual job of getting the sheet into place was NOT simple but went better than we expected. Next a hanger was welded inside the steam dome. A comealong was attached and used to lower the sheet into its final resting place. After some fitting the sheet was tack welded. More fitting is needed and sections of the firebox side sheets that have been cut out replaced. Next will be beveling the sheets and butt welding the tube sheet to the side sheets and crown sheet. The bottom will be riveted to the mud ring.”
Jim Connor photos.
Kelly Bauman reports: “It was a pretty productive weekend. Sorry, no pictures. But here is the rundown for Sunday. I don’t know if anything happened Saturday, but I think everyone was either in training, or on crew.
“Ed Ripp and I started out ultra-sounding the boiler patches. After determining we were unsure of how the boiler was originally done, we did our own coordinate set. (For the record it was 1-23 from the front to the back, and A-L starting on the engineer’s side. This needs to be written on the sheets yet.) After Ed and I were about half way through, Jim Connor and Bruce (I think, I’m terrible with names) finished the other half. We then moved out to the tender and set up a grid all the way around the outside two feet high. Jim and I also removed some of the crud off the sides of the coal bin, but after looking at it decided not to draw the grid. It’s in pretty bad shape just looking at it…. [Meanwhile], Ed Ripp and Jason Sobcyznski continued to remove accessories from the 1385. However thunderstorms and the picnic cut short any further work.
This last weekend was most productive, also as we had a very nice crew hammering down staybolts and cleaning out holes in the throatsheet preparing them for welding. Betsy Zonnerville, Bob & Kevin Reihl, Mike Wahl, John Sorrel, Doug Crary, Dave & Bryon Schumacher, Al Hill, Chris Thompson and Kelly Bauman were there to lend a hand. Many staybolts were hammered down and the telltale holes were drilled clear to finish part of the firebox repairs. The staybolts are what hold the flat steel sheets of the firebox together against the pressure of the steam and water in the boiler. The throatsheet is the very front of the firebox that helps make the transition from the rectangular shape to the cylindrical shape of the barrel. The staybolt holes there are being filled with weld and will be drilled out to be threaded when the new rear tubesheet is fitted to the inside of the firebox/boiler. Once again, saying thanks doesn’t seem adequate but WE ARE DOING THIS!
Paul Swanson photos.