Crane Built to Assist with Restoration

Bob and Dave have built a crane to lift and position the front tube sheet for the WC&C #1. We test drove the crane last week.

Welding on the rear sheet continues as well as work on the frame and running gear. During Snow Train™ weekend, riveting the mud ring was started.

Measuring Frame Bolts and Tapping Boiler Stud Holes

On Friday, Pete Deets, Bob Ristow, Ron Kokemuller, and Jim Connor cleaned up around the boiler and other area’s in the shop. Pete, Bob and I spent some time on the project plan and timeline to make sure we are keeping everything happening in the order we should be.

On Saturday, Roger Hugg, Bob and I worked on measuring and documenting the frame and frame bolts so drawing can be made for replacements. Al Joyce worked on tapping boiler stud holes and installing them. This is a time consuming process because they are taper fit and each one must be fitted to the hole. Ron worked on enlarging the holes in the boiler mounting bracket that attach to the firebox.

Kyle, Jim Busse, Ed Ripp and Jim worked on the power car boiler. On Sunday they continued to install tubes in the power car.

On Sunday, Al continued on the stud work. Things are moving along well.

–Mike Wahl

Cleaning of Frame Completed

Bob and Dave continued to clean on the frame today and have it for the most part completed. There are a few spots that might need a little touching up. They also completed assembling the last set of shelves in the box car and started stocking them. Bob said that the box car is looking very nice inside and with the addition of the shelves it gives us a lot of room for storage of WCC#1 parts.

Cleaning WC&C #1's frame.

Cleaning WC&C #1’s frame.

Progress on Fitting Second Boiler Course

June’s work weekend resulted in progress on the fitting of the second course of the Montreal. We had a very nice turnout of workers including Mike Wahl, Kelly Bauman, Bob Jackson, Steve Seibel, Doug Klitzke, Darryl Gasser, and Bruce Case. The second course is the tapered course which is especially difficult to fit. Finished to a point where Becker Boiler needs to fabricate an attachment to allow finish fitting of the patch.

Holes were cleaned up for many of the new studs by tapping the sheets with special boiler taps (tappered). It is necessary to ‘clean’ the holes so that a completely sealed ‘joint’ will be made between the stud and sheet. Obviously, leaks will not be tolerated.

Driving box binder fitting was initiated on the frame. This is necessary to determine the repairs and alterations required to renew the shoes and wedges.

Ultra sounding of more of the boiler sheets was also accomplished. Becker Boiler has started welding up the ‘old’ stay bolt holes so that they can be redrilled, reamed and tapped to return the stay bolts to the original 7/8″ diameter size. When a stay bolt breaks, it can be renewed by replacing it with a new bolt a little larger in size (usually 1/16″ larger in diameter). As time goes on, the bolts can wind up much larger than the original size which can result in more frequent breakage. Returning the bolts to the orginal design size will allow future repairs without jeopardizing the original design specifications.

It may seem as though the progress is slow at this time….fitting of the boiler patches are extremely delicate and MUST be done correctly the first time! Various inspections are also requirred through out the boiler patching process which can result in longer lead times.

Plans are being made to manufacture new tube sheets to complete the boiler repairs.