WELCOME! – Mid-Continent Railway Museum welcomes you to discover railroading history. Mid‑Continent is currently closed for the winter season. The museum will reopen on May 8, 2021 with train rides resuming at the same time (subject to change and pandemic conditions warrant). Differing from the past practice, Mid-Continent will only be open Saturdays and Sundays in 2021. See schedule details.
Although we are not currently open, there is still a wealth of information about railroads available on our website that you can explore from the comfort of home. Here are a few sections of our site we think you may find interesting:
- See the latest progress on the C&NW #1385 steam locomotive restoration project
- View pictures and read the history of each of our collection pieces – over 100 cars and locomotives in all!
- Explore the numerous videos available on our YouTube page
- Take a deep dive into the history of the builders of wooden railway cars
- Check out the restoration of the DULUTH, one of America’s oldest and most in tact sleeping cars, or the restoration of East Jordan & Southern #2, the oldest car in Mid-Continent’s collection.
- Explore the sounds of a steam locomotive in our audio archive
- Learn more about Mid-Continent’s humble beginnings 62 years ago
- Learn the local history of North Freedom, Wisconsin and how our rail line came to exist
Thanks for visiting MidContinent.org. We look forward to welcoming you in person soon!
GIFT CARDS NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE ONLINE – Giving the gift of Mid‑Continent just got easier. Gift cards can now be purchased online in any dollar amount and are valid toward any train or tour Mid-Continent operates. Find out more…
MID-CONTINENT AWARDED GRANT FROM TOM E. DAILEY FOUNDATION – Mid-Continent Railway Museum is happy to announce the museum has been awarded a $1,500 grant from the Tom E. Dailey Foundation. This grant will assist Mid-Continent with creating reproductions of the original coach seat design to appear in the historic East Jordan & Southern #2 passenger car, the oldest railcar in Mid-Continent Railway Museum’s collection. Read more…
COACH SHED #2 – Mid-Continent’s new 10,500 square foot display building is complete. Be sure to stop in this new exhibit area during your next visit. Read more…
STEAM & STEEL: SONGS OF RAILROAD’S GOLDEN AGE – Fundraising at Mid-Continent Railway Museum has taken on a more harmonious tone with the release of an original music CD entitled Steam & Steel: Songs of Railroad’s Golden Age. A collection of ten railroad themed songs, including nine original compositions by Mid-Continent Railway Museum member Ken Hojnacki, performed by Grammy Award-winning bluegrass artist Laurie Lewis and her band, they range in style from bluegrass to country to folk.
Read The Story Behind the Songs of Railroad’s Golden Age, which includes not only the back story but song lyrics, pictures and song samples.
Order yours by calling our office at 608-522-4261 or 800-930-1385
Mid-Continent is an outdoor living history museum and operating railroad recreating, preserving, and interpreting the small town/shortline way of life from the “Golden Age of Railroading.” Help us preserve this experience for others to enjoy by making a donation, and consider joining us as a member!
The entire contents of this website are ©2020 Mid-Continent Railway Historical Society, Inc. Please respect the copyright of our contributing photographers. Any copying, redistribution, or reuse of files, photos, text, or graphics from this website without written permission is prohibited, with the exception of the Media Kit under the terms outlined on those pages.