Fish Car, Pullman Co., Lot 4015, Plan 2642, 1913
The Pullman Company built this wooden car for the Wisconsin Fish Commission as “Badger #2” in September, 1913. It was designed with a steel underframe and fitted with steel tanks to carry fish to remote locations around the state to restock streams and rivers. The car would be stopped on a bridge and the tanks emptied into the water below.
At an unknown date, the car was sold to equipment dealer W.H. Knapp and renumbered #104.
In 1960, the car was the very first to be purchased by Mid-Continent. It was moved to Hillsboro, Wisconsin in 1962 to carry passengers for the first operating season, and then on to North Freedom in 1963.
#104 (or simply the “Fish Car”), as it is known to museum members, served as a regular coach in service to haul passengers on the museum’s line for many years, wearing several colorful paint schemes along the way. It was last used during Snow Train 1985.
A $950,000 full restoration to bring the car back to its as-built configuration complete with fish storage tanks was completed in 2008. The restoration is made possible by a grant from the Jeffris Family Foundation of Janesville, Wisconsin, and matching funds from hundreds of contributors.
Our sincerest thanks to all the individuals and foundations whose generous donations helped Mid-Continent match the $475,000 Jeffris Family Foundation Challenge Grant.
- Sponsoring the Car Body: William Reinicker
- Sponsoring the Observation Room: Fern Bloohm in memory of L. O. “Ozzie” Bloohm
- Sponsoring the Fish Tank Room: Charles Gelatt
- Sponsoring the Salon: Jeffrey B. Bloohm
- Sponsoring the Kitchen: The 1772 Foundation
- Sponsoring the Vestibules: Georgina & Thomas Russo, Julia & David Uihlein
- Sponsoring the Trucks: The Hunt Memorial Trust
- Sponsoring the Berths: Richard Levis, Kalmbach Publishing Company
- Sponsoring the Fish Tanks: Janet Anderson, Janet Anderson in memory of August & Anna Anderson, Howard & Asta Blanchar, Gandy Dancer Festival, William Parker, Myra Reilly, Roman Vetter, The Wagner Foundation, The WISE Division of the NMRA.
Badger #2 Partners
Special thanks to all those who have and continue to contribute to the success of the Badger #2 Fish Car restoration.
- Avalon Rail, Inc.
- Fulkerstone Fine Arts, LLC
- The Jeffris Family Foundation
- McCutcheon Crane Lifts
- Midwest Heavy Haul
- Oakbrook Esser Studios
- Tom Nedobeck
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
- Kailuna Enterprises
- Lucid Glass Works