Cupola Caboose, B&O, December 1925
The B&O built this wooden cupola caboose at their shops in Washington, Indiana in December of 1925. It features a symmetrical design with the cupola placed in the center of the carbody.
In 1972, the B&O, America’s oldest common carrier railroad, became a subsidiary of the new Chessie System which also comprised C&O and Western Maryland. In 1975, C-1921 was sold to private individuals. It arrived at North Freedom in January 1978 and has been used as bunk facilities since then.
#C-1921 has outlived its namesake road: B&O was merged into C&O in 1987, consequently losing its separate identity.